Aug 5, 2010

Fundoplication Diagram




This is a little hard to read, but it at least gives an idea of what the fundo is. The highest part of the stomach (or fundus) is wrapped around the esophagus and stitched back to itself. The last picture also has a G-tube coming out of the stomach.
Andrew is doing great. He is the same kid as before except for 2 things. 1) He's hungry more frequently. Which makes sense because his stomach is smaller now. 2) The lack of reflux symptoms. He had slept with his mattress flat now. Before I always kept it inclined to help decrease reflux while we ran his pump at night. He used to reflux and choke on it if he cried too hard, or laughed hard. One day he drank some water, and then was crying over something, and the water came right back up with such force that it came out his nose! I laughed, but it was a good demostrate of the ease of his reflux. He was really mad about it.

Since the fundo, I haven't seen any sign of reflux. He still sleeps with his back arched, but I think it's because he's used to sleeping that way now.
We did do dilation on the 29th. His striture had narrowed some, but not nearly as bad as before. The surgeon said that the incisions look good. We are scheduled for another dilation and to get the tube changed to a button (the smaller version of the tube) on Aug 26.
We spent a few days after that at my mom's. We visited with my aunts and cousins on my dad's side, and also went to my Grandpa Noyes 90th birthday party.
When we got home Sunday, I was nearly out of diapers for Ty. I mentioned it to Ryan who replied, "Don't buy anymore." I'm not sure how serious he was, but I thought it was a good idea. We've had several potty training attempts, but something always stops me after a couple days. This time we were out of diapers, so there was no way out unless I went to the store. The first day wasn't great. Tuesday I had to go to Price, so I decided to buy a potty chair while I was there. I had told myself I would let him choose whichever seat he wanted, no matter the cost. I figured if he was excited about it we had a better chance. So what did he choose?
The PINK 'froggy potty seat'. They had a green one, but Ty wanted pink. To my joy, it was only $13. We got home, and he used it right away. He's only had 1 accident since. He has bargained to wear any diaper (including Andrew's diapers, which are way too small) to bed. He's found diapers even I didn't know I had. That's good enough for now. He wears his underwear the rest of the time. In previous attempts I would have him wear a diaper when we went places. This time I've just left him in underwear and he's done great! Even our 3 hour trip to Price, and 3 hours up the mountain. He just held it until we got home. I am sooooo excited!

2 comments:

The Barnum Family said...

I'm glad Andrew is doing better with the reflux and hooray for Tyler and the potty training! It sounds like he's ready to succeed this time. Good luck!

Shelly and Kellan said...

I love the pink frog! And yay for Andrew :)