Well, for some reason I can't get my pictures to upload. So here's the story, minus cute pictures:
Drew started bowel prep yesterday, which wasn't so pleasant. He handled it fairly well though. When I was there to see him today the NNP (just higher than a nurse) came to examine him and found that his right arm was swollen, red, and warm. This is the arm that had the line for meds and IV nutrition (PICC line). PICC lines are very good in that you don't have to change IV lines all the time, but carry a high risk for infection.
So they took a blood sample to count all the cells, took a blood culture from his leg, and one from the line, and are culturing the line as well.
Given the possibility of infection surgery was cancelled for tomorrow. Depending on what the cultures show, surgery may be on Monday. Nothing is in stone until you actually start the procedure at the hospital.
I'm a little disappointed, but I think it will be for the better. This way he has a few extra days to grow, and we'll know he doesn't have an infection for surgery.
Thanks to our amazing NNP we also have a rare opportunity coming up this weekend. It's been approved for us to bring Tyler to see Drew on Saturday!! They will move Drew into a 'family room', which is basically his own hospital room with a bathroom, couch, TV, etc plus the monitors and hookups for his suction. I am so excited for us to finally be together, even if it's just for a few hours. I hope that it will help Tyler to understand what's going on a little bit more as well. This is really going to be a treat for Ryan and I.
Apr 9, 2009
Change in plans
at 4:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
That is so Fantastic that Tyler gets to see his baby brother. What a blessing that is. I'm sorry to hear the surgery has been pushed back but it's a blessing as well. 80) Have Fun this weekend. 80)
It sounds like putting off the surgery will be a better option after all. I think Tyler getting to see his new little playmate/brother will be wonderful for him. I hope he can understand a little of it. He is such a big boy now. We sure did love getting to see him. We have been fasting and will continue for the day. We pray that all will go well no matter when it goes on. So glad you will all be together. Hugs to you all. Love the
Brower Gang
Post a Comment