Feb 11, 2009


Drew is doing much better today. His color is much better. (He's pretty fair skinned, so the picture doesn't show that. Compared to Monday though, so much more pink.)
He also was awake while I was there, which hasn't happened for a while. I love seeing those big eyes!!
He's taking is pacifier again as well. I am so grateful for that because with the tube in his mouth he's at risk for getting an oral aversion. If it gets bad enough, kids sometimes don't eat by mouth until they are 2 or 3 years old. He was liking his pacifier the last 2 days though, so I think it might have just been that he wasn't feeling well. He weighs 6 lbs 8 oz now, and is on his way to bolus feedings (eat and then wait instead of the drip) soon. The surgeon wanted them to start that.

Tyler is learning to mimic what we say to him. It's not clear words by any means, but he uses the same tones and similar sounds as we do. "Where is it?" is a common one. He's getting used to the routine that we've worked into the last few weeks. He slept through the night last night too!!! I was so happy when I woke up on my own at 6:30. It's pretty normal for him to wake up between 2 and 4 am these days.
Today he brought grandma Nina's shoes in the room and although it took me a minute to understand, he was saying, "Kitty? kitty?" because he wanted to go outside and find the cat. I love my boys.

I really enjoy reading all the comments too. Thanks for those.

5 comments:

Natalie Thomas said...

Glad to hear he is doing better.
I wish he would have opened his eyes more when I came up to see him, I love the big dark eyes.
Hope you are all doing well.

Unknown said...

Melissa, We enjoyed having Ryan here with us. My boys think he is very cool. We have set up a schedule so we can have him more often. Thanks for that. So happy that Drew seems to be doing better. Hopefully they have the infection under control and he will continue to improve. Still missing Tyler, but we will survive. Can't wait to see you all. You are doing such a great job. Keep it up. I know it is not easy but your a great person and I know you can handle it. Call me if you need anything. Love ya
Brower Gang

Anonymous said...

Tyler is such a cutie! so is Drew! I can't wait to see him! Tej has been sick so I think it would be safer to wait til everyone is better before I see Drew! His pics are really cute though!

The Barnum Family said...

I'm so glad to hear he's doing better! I got your message. I forgot about the wedding this weekend. Enjoy it and I'll call you next week so we can get together. Your boys are both so cute! Have a Happy Valentine's Day!

Crisanne said...

Hi Melissa! It's good to hear that Drew is getting stronger each day. I hope that the anti-biotics keep on working, and that he keeps liking that pacifier! Bryant is missing seeing Tyler. Every time we go by your place he says "There's Tyler's house! Can he play?" If Ryan ever needs a break, or wants dinner, send him up our way, he's more than welcome! Hope that all went well with your brother's wedding!