Tyler has figured out that if you PUSH a chair, you can reach more stuff. He's such a smarty, and so cute. He also likes wearing hats when he finds them.
Drew is doing much better than last week. Just to get the whole story straight, I will probably repeat a little of what I already wrote. Drew has been having spells where his heart-rate and oxygen levels drop for a few weeks now. They thought it was the infection in his blood and revamped the antibiotics that he was on. His labs were improving some, but he was still requiring oxygen. Last Sunday things really turned crazy and he was very sick and requiring more oxygen than ever. (We were not at the hospital to know this was going on.) So they did a chest x-ray and found fluid, but they weren't sure where it was. They followed up with a CAT scan, and talked to the surgeon and decided it was in the pleural space, which is just outside the lung. There was so much fluid that his right lung was not able to work! They had to try 3 times to get the chest tube in the right spot, but finally got it in and drained 12 cc's of fluid immediately. (2 and 1/2 teaspoons of fluid in a little body is a lot.) The radiologist says the chest-tube is IN the lung. He was also put on a ventilator because he was having such a hard time breathing. They found infection and yeast in the drained fluid, so he was treated for those.
He improved quickly and was able to be off the ventilator Wed and off oxygen completely by Friday.
Turns out that the lower part of his esophagus had opened and leaked his food out of his stomach. They hoped that it would close on it's own, but after a dye test and x-ray yesterday we know that it is not closed and that the fluid also broke down the stitches in his trachea and letting fluid into his lungs too. They've decided to wait another week and dye test again.
On the up side they checked the upper part of his eshophagus, and he's grown half of the distance he needs to in order to repair that!! We're planning on about 4 more weeks until the 
final surgery. For now he's doing very well. He will have to have the chest tube in until the esophagus is closed again, which will hopefully happen on it's own this week. The chest tube is painful to have in because it goes in between his ribs. We also can't hold him while it's in. His spells of low vitals have completely stopped now that the fluid is out and the infection is gone, though. He is looking so good!!
The cute little guy has figured out how to manipulate the tube in his mouth now. The nurse told me yesterday that when it stops sucking, he moves it around until it starts again. :) We are so happy that he's doing so well now.
6 comments:
Wow! He looks so much healthier in these pics.
I'm glad he is doing a little better now.
We're always thinking of you guys.
Please let us know if you need anything.
Drew is looking great! Tyler seems to have grown accustomed to his new home away from home and adjusting very nicely. So glad to hear all the good news. Can't wait for more. Keep up the good work. We can't wait to hold Drew and Tyler both and give you a big hug. You are a very good Mom. I know you will all pull through so wonderful. Have a wonderful week. We are thinking of you. We really need you to come and beat Ryan at some game. We are not used to being beaten at everything. We are told it wont happen once you are home. See you later.
Brower Gang
Both kids are so darn cute!! Wish I could have seen Drew, but maybe another day, I just might wiat til he comes home with you guys, then see him. Let him get all healthy first. If you need anything let us know!!
love ya all!!
Hi Mellissa. I loved seeing the pictures of Drew and Tyler. I am glad to hear that Drew is doing so much better. He is such a beautiful baby. When I seen the picture of Tyler I almost started to cry. I miss him. Please give him a big hug and Kiss from me. We will keep your family in our prayers. I hope to see all of you home very soon.
Gloria Wilson. Tylers Nursery Leader.
aerial@etv.net
Melissa, I just want you to know that even though I haven't called, I think about you every day. I read your updates and am praying for all of you. I don't want you to think I don't care because I haven't called. I'm missing you and can't wait for you to come home.
There's been a few times I've said to Tom, "Let's call Ryan and Melissa to play games tonight" and then I realize that you're not here! I'm such an airhead! Sure do miss ya!
Melissa! Half way! That is a great landmark. Drew really does look so much better in these photos. Bryant still misses his friend Tyler! We are praying for you and Drew and hope that each day he just keeps getting better! The days are getting nicer, and I can't wait to start our morning walks again, by the time you are home it should be warm enough!
Post a Comment