I maybe should have written before now, but here it is now:
We're home!! Drew was released on Friday, May 29th. He was on continuous feedings for 22 hours a day at 34 cc's an hour, 24 calories per ounce. (Normal is 20 calories. He has more so that he doesn't have to have as much volume). He was also on prevacid for the acid in his stomach, ativan to help him be calm, and morphine because he hadn't weaned off the pains med completely. I weaned the morphine some, but it was not pleasant, so we're just going to let him outgrow the dose now.
When we got to my grandma's on Friday it was time to give his prevacid. I'd been warned by several nurses that it was famous for clogging tubes, but hadn't had a problem in the hospital. We'd been given a pill to dissolve and then put through the tube into his intestine. Well, I clogged the tube. Fortunately we were able to work it back out. Things went really well after that. Drew was happy, and actually stayed awake most of the day!! He slept awesome and didn't wake up in the night at all. I still have to wake-up to refill his pump, but that's ok.
Saturday I went to give the prevacid and once again clogged the tube. We managed to pull it back out, but when I tried to re-give the med it clogged again. This time I tried and tried and tried to unclog it, but instead ended up blowing a hole in the tubing outside his belly. So we took a ride back to Primary Children's and had a new tube placed. I tried to give Drew the pill by mouth later that day, but he spit it out.
Sunday I tried to put it into the tube into his stomach, but he threw it up. Sunday night we made the drive home. We stopped along the way to see Ryan's family.
Jun 9, 2009
My mom came down Monday night to help me out for a few days. Drew slept most of Tuesday and was up all night. I had weaned his morphine Monday, and I think that not having the right doses of prevacid had caught up with him and he was having heartburn. Things got better after Wednesday. My mom had helped me organize my house some, and although I didn't know how I would manage both kids and the house alone I was on my own. Thursday went great. I had both kids and myself dressed, the dishes done, and laundry started by 10am!! (Uh, did I mention that one or both of my kids wake up before 7 am daily now. Usually it's closer to 6 when I force myself out of bed. Neither of them woke up much before eight prior to coming home. I've been exhausted!!) Drew was still more fussy than he had been in the hospital, and I was having a bit of a time dealing with it. Friday was pretty smooth, but Drew was more fussy. By early (I mean about 2 am) Saturday he was screaming and inconsolable. Saturday morning I realized that his G-tube site was infected. We made another trip to the doc and got the antibiotic.
By Saturday night I was sick and had the flu. Ryan wasn't feeling so hot either. We spent most of Sunday taking turns sleeping. Yesterday I was still not feeling well, but was a little better.
Today has been so good. Drew is so much happier than he has been the rest of the time we've been home. Tyler is playing with him and mostly enjoys Drew. He gets a little jealous if I hold baby Drew for long or if I use 'Tylur's blank' for Drew.
Drew has taken to putting his first two fingers in his mouth, but hasn't done much sucking. Today I heard him smacking, and put his pacifier in and he went to town on it!! He sucked for at least 10 minutes and didn't gag at all!!
I also put him in the jumper today. He hasn't been weight bearing on his legs much, so I thought I'd try that to inspire him. It took a few minutes and three blankets to prop him up in it, but he caught on and really enjoyed pushing off. So much that he had a blow-out in his clean clothes! :0 That's babies for ya. He hadn't gone since Saturday. Tyler's record was more than a week without pooping.
It's 3 pm and I am still not dressed and the only thing aside from the necessities of chores I've done is get a babysitter so I can go to the dentist in the morning. I've played with my kids and we've had an awesome day. Drew had smiled at me today. I've only had a two or three smiles from him the entire week before today. He's happy, and Tyler is busy and helping me like usual. Who cares if I didn't get dressed yet or the house clean.
at 2:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment